Shabbat School Grades K-6
ABOUT SHABBAT SCHOOL AT HAVURAH SHALOM
The Shabbat School is one component of the Havurah Shalom community and of Jewish living. Over time, our experiences in Shabbat School are complemented by celebrating holidays and lifecycle milestones, Tikkun Olam (Repair of the World), Tefillah (Prayer/Reflection), and by bringing Jewish values into our daily life.
The goals of the Havurah Shalom Shabbat School are:
- Develop and/or deepen our enthusiasm for Jewish learning and living.
- Embrace the Jewish values of study, social justice, celebration in home and synagogue, and participation in life cycle events.
- Appreciate and rely upon Jewish values as a guide to moral and responsible decision making for ourselves and our community.
- Engage substantively with Jewish tradition and deepen our attachment to our community.
It is our hope that the Shabbat School experience, in concert with home and community and Jewish involvement, will facilitate the following long-term outcomes:
- Children will build the beginning of a foundation for lifelong Jewish learning and engagement.
- Parents and children will be drawn into a warm and caring Jewish community that will enhance our Jewish living.
Please see the Havurah Shalom Shabbat School Handbook (PDF) for detailed information about Shabbat School structure, schedule, and curriculum.
If you are interested in our Shabbat School model for your family, please contact Deborah Eisenbach-Budner, Havurah Shalom Education Director, via email. We begin our yearly cycle with an all-parent Shabbat School Summit planning session in late May, followed by summer gathering(s) for class groups. Please contact Havurah in the spring prior to the beginning of the school year you are considering.
AS OF MARCH 2013… WE HAVE A NEW ENROLLMENT POLICY AND NEW ENROLLMENT DEADLINE
Due to the growth in our program, and in order to retain the integrity of our Shabbat School model of parent-taught classes, we are compelled to institute a new Shabbat School enrollment policy, as follows:
To ensure a spot for the 2013-2014 year:
- families must be Havurah Shalom members, and
- families must register their children for Shabbat School by May 13
After May 13, enrollment in a particular grade is subject to space availability. If the grade is too full, students will be placed on a wait list and/or wait until the 2014-15 year. This timing is based on the Shabbat School Summit (May 18), which is really the beginning of our school year. At the Summit, parents plan together, sign up for teaching teams, and schedule their summer community building activity.
BEFORE MAY 13
our new enrollment deadline
A NOTE ABOUT REGISTRATION
Registration must be filled out for each child, each year. Payment may be made by check or online. To pay online, click here. Please note that there is a 3.5% processing fee associated with online payment.
SCHEDULES, FORMS, AND OTHER RESOURCES
- NEW Registration Form 2013-14 (PDF)
- Shabbat School Dates , Holidays, and Shabbat Celebrations 2012-13 (PDF)
- NEW Shabbat School Calendar 2013-14 – provisional (PDF)
- NEW Havurah Shalom Youth Hebrew Classes 5774 (2013-14) – Registration and Terms of Participation (PDF)
- Shabbat School Handbook 2012-13 (PDF)
- Shabbat School Parenting Workshops
- Reimbursement Form for Shabbat School Expenses (PDF)